Thursday, July 26, 2012

Review: Sonic the Hedgehog U.S. 20th Anniversary Statue

What better way to start off the SegaSonic Museum than with one of the rarest gems of Sonic merchandise! This is the Sonic the Hedgehog 20th anniversary statue created by First 4 Figures.
A bit of history on the piece; back in June 2011 First 4 Figures announced they would be making a statue to commemorate Sonic's 20th anniversary. The catch was that you could not purchase the statue. You had to be lucky enough to win one in a promotion, contest, or be given one as a gift from Sega. This meant that from the very start these were very rare.




There are two versions of the statue in existence, a European version and an American version. 900 pieces were made of the European variant, sporting the Japanese Sonic the Hedgehog box art for Mega Drive inside the monitor, and only 100 pieces of the U.S. variant which has the U.S. Sonic the Hedgehog box art for Genesis. I was very fortunate to get a hold of the U.S. version from an eBay auction. Now lets take a look at the piece!
As you can see by first glance the statue is beautiful. At about 10 inches tall from bottom of base to the top of Sonic's head, this statue has exquisite detail. The vibrant colors and wonderful craftsmanship really bring the statue together. As if more of a scene than a lone figure, we see Sonic giving his trademark waving finger while leaning atop a classic item monitor seen in classic Sonic games. And as mentioned earlier, within the monitor, the art that changes not only the statues version but even rarity, Classic Sonic from the front of the Sonic 1 box here in the United States.

The Green Hill themed base from my opinion is even better than the First 4 Figures Classic Sonic statue. The two shades of green stripes on the grass as they droop over the orange and brown checker bottom is spot on to what Green Hill should be. Sitting raised on top of the grass to bring the whole statue together is the 20th anniversary logo, branding it as the commemorative piece it is. My only "complaint" about this piece is when first encountering it in person for the first time, it was smaller than my imagination had led me to believe. Still, overall I simply love this statue. I feel that if you love Sonic, you will also truly adore this statue. I will cherish it in my collection for years to come. I can't wait to see what the next 20 years bring for our Blue Blur.

Please leave comments below and check out the full album of pictures I took.

4 comments:

  1. Nice nab my man! The picture quality is so good and yet no flaws show themselves in the paint job and craftsmanship of this piece. Have you considered making an animated .gif of it rotating? That'd be pretty cool. Also you may consider using a glass encasement to protect it. Have you ever seen an old pendulum clock encased by glass? This would actually fit it quite nicely. Perhaps you could pick it up somewhere. I'll be looking for more updates and don't forget to have people subscribe to your RSS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed link from First 4 Figures forums.
    Nice review, and excellent pictures with good detail. Its nice to see good quality pictures under natural lighting (I assume lighting is natural? It certainly looks to be!) with no flash.
    I look forward to your future entries! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kaidengigex: Thanks! It is quite an exquisite piece and it definitely shows in the photos. A .gif would be a very cool idea! Yeah I need an enclosure for it definitely.

    @John: Thanks a lot! Glad you found your way over here. Yes I tried to capture it with natural lighting best I could. =]

    I can't wait to show you guys more Sonic goodness!

    ReplyDelete